FREELANCERS: How to attract more clients w/ Chris Haddad

by Kevin

in Copywriting,Face-to-Face Sales

Listen Now To Hear
Chris Haddad’s Zero Pressure
Live Networking Tactics

If you’re a freelance copywriter (or provide any type service) who would like more clients, then this is a must-hear interview with copywriting superstar, Chris Haddad.

Chris did a lot of things wrong on his way to becoming an in-demand direct response copywriter and marketing consultant for guys like Jeff Walker and Jeff Johnson…

… like wasting his time on corporate clients in his local area who had “no idea why they should pay for copy.”

He’s built his business into a thriving six-figure powerhouse so fast, in part, by networking at live marketing seminars. If you’ve been to any of the major events in the last 2-3 years, chances are you saw Chris’s shiny pate bouncing around the joint.

I first met Chris at SANG III, and I can tell you: The dude knows EVERYBODY.

But you may be surprised to find out Chris (like most writers) is actually very introverted.

So, how did he break out of his protective shell and discover the secret handshake that keeps his calendar full months in advance? And what are some of the things you NEVER want to do when meeting potential prospects in person?

Listen to find out. And, as always, your comments are encouraged and appreciated.

Best,

Kevin

{ 15 comments }

lawton chiles September 28, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Kevin & Chris,

I love how real you guys are.

No goo-roos here-I mean you are at the top of your
craft, but you are approachable.

I’ve enjoyed the time you’ve spent giving me
advice and counsel, both of you.

I agree that there is a HUGE tendency
to be insecure around people who are
A, better at your craft or more “successful”
than you…
B, where you feel out of your element.

The key is to just really, be confident,
be humble, and listen more than you
talk.

(a big lesson for me)

The biggest lesson I’ve learned, whether
being able to perform a musical song
for President Clinton in the late 90’s,
to cold-calling the President
of Sony Records for advice is,
The worst someone can say is no.

It wasn’t really a cold-call per-se

We’d met once before, but he didin’t have
to take my call. But he did.

Usually they say yes. You just have
to ask :)

P.S.-
What are your top 5 events for 2010?

Lawton Chiles

Niels Helverskov September 28, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Great practical wisdom. Can certainly hear you are both battle tested in the trenches. Thanks for introducing me to Chris, Kevin. I checked out his blog and I see what you mean with “Chris’s shiny pate bouncing around the joint”. You two even share the same “hair style”. Can’t imagine any dull moments hanging out with you two in a bar.
Appreciate sharing this conversation with us.

Ross September 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Kevin,

Balls = money

Took me a long time to learn that but definitely a lesson to live by and feed your family by. Not just networking wise either, self-promotion wise, letting loose creatively in copy… the whole nine yards.

Also that whole “not needing permission” thing… absolutely tripped me up for the longest time. Felt I needed someone to bestow me the right to be a pro copywriter, when it turns out you can appoint yourself and no-one gives a crap.

Also… to add to the misery, but thanks to Chris now I feel so awfully good about it, my wife (beautiful and lovely as she is) has her moments where she is indeed holding a metaphorical Stetson to my head. So that really resonated. Great call.

Surely the law of reciprocation is turning over in your head and you’re thinking that now you have to go comment on Part 2 of my post over at Vin’s Clambake.

Take care,

— Ross

Daniel Scott September 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Hey guys,

The funny thing is I think we make creating connections with other human beings way more difficult than it needs to be… especially if we have a lot of reverence for that person and kind of put them on a pedestal.

But when it comes down to it… we’re all just people, looking to meet other people.

I remember when I started mentoring with Vin. I was in awe of him and pretty intimidated. The first time he asked for my advice I was too scared to be critical because it was him.

He emailed me back and said “Don’t hold back just because it’s me”.

That was a big lesson for me – regardless of how good we are, we all make mistakes and we all want to hear from other people. In fact I routinely ask my housemate (a guy with zero marketing experience) his opinion on my stuff… and have gotten a lot of great ideas as a result.

I remember listening to an interview with Kanye West. He worked briefly with Jay-Z back when he was broke and living in Chicago (he was referred by a mutual friend).

Jay asked him what he thought of his production. Kanye was honest and said he didn’t like it.

The next week Jay called him back and invited Kanye to do more work with him. Apparently one of the driving factors was the fact Kanye wasn’t afraid to be honest with a big star like Jay-Z.

So at the end of the day… if you’re just a normal guy and are straight with people… things usually work out okay. Putting people on a pedestal is rarely helpful.

-Dan

P.S. LOVED the call.

Ross September 29, 2010 at 6:05 am

Looks like I said my wife holds a hat to my head to motivate me. Humiliating mental mix-up. It’s most definitely a gun.

— Ross

Brian McLeod September 29, 2010 at 7:01 am

You’re british, Ross… Yanks don’t expect you to have a mental inventory of ballistics any more than Brits expect us to understand why it’s important to “Mind The Gap”.

Tremendous call fellas… One BEElion Dohlars…. LOL

Best,

Brian

Ross September 29, 2010 at 8:15 am

Brian, never overlook the importance of minding the gap. Your bullish American arrogance will come back to bite you.

— Ross

lawton chiles September 29, 2010 at 11:50 am

Now i gotta find some Nigerian banker to offer me $1,000,000,000,000,000

That would be worth bragging over.

Loren Woirhaye September 29, 2010 at 8:14 pm

hey guys. I enjoyed that.

My background is in craftsmanship (I built guitars and stuff) so I tend to focus on trying to perfect the product. I was always more interested in inventing the next variation than on marketing what I’d already mastered. It’s a huge lesson for me that “good is good enough to sell,” especially in writing, because the real masters are so wicked talented you can be inspired, but you still have to sell the work in order to feed your cat.

Kevin September 30, 2010 at 10:42 am

Thanks Loren, it’s nice to have you here.

And thanks for everyone’s comments. I try to be more interactive, but the schedule refused this time.

Daniel, you make a great point about not putting people on a pedestal. It’s a difficult task, but it is KEY to getting “in” with people of influence.

Find a common interest and make a connection on a topic outside of their profession and you’ll have a way better shot at forming a relationship.

Talk soon!

Kev

Ewen October 1, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Man what a transformation for you Chris, going from a shy dude to a fast talking, fast writing and fast riser in the copywriting game.

Well done.

And our host Kevin…I thought stand up comedians would have confidence to burn…seems not when thrown in a new, unfamiliar envirnment.

Thanks for letting us know what it has been like getting your start.

All the best,
Ewen

Nathan Stockwell October 3, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Hey, loved the call.

Thanks for putting it up. Funny too.

Now you owe me a Dr. Pepper since instead of enjoying mine a lot gracefully but forcefully excited my nose.

Gotta love Juan.

James Clouser June 10, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Hey, guys:

Great program. I’m new to the business, and it’s reassuring to hear that other copywriters start out feeling just as awkward as I do right now at events.

All best,
James

Kevin June 10, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Thanks, James. Glad you liked it bud.

Mark Elmo Ellis December 4, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Kevin & Chris,

This is hands down one of the best interviews I have ever heard about networking with business people and seasoned copywriters. I really appreciate how blunt you were about what people do wrong at events and trying to approach business people.

I was trying to take notes, but you had so much great information on this single interview, I couldn’t keep up.

Thanks so much for sharing, it really helped me out.

God Bless,

Mark Elmo Ellis

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: